The brick farmhouse was completed around 1848 and the architecturally significant PA Dutch brick-end barn was completed the following year. Henry Monfort and his brother, Jacob, built the house and farmed the land. A family letter written on 8 July 1863, only 5 days after the battle of Gettysburg, documents events on the farm. As Johnson’s Division began to be evacuated from Culps Hill, the farm was converted into a Confederate Field Hospital. Over 1,300 Confederates were brought here, making it one of the largest Confederate Hospitals, with soldiers occupying the house, barn and considerable space around the farm. When the Confederates retreated from Gettysburg, 446 soldiers were left at the farm. They remained for about 28 days before consolidation at Camp Letterman (Hospital Hill). Forty-seven died and were buried on the farm, but were disinterred and moved to Hollywood Cemetery in Richmond Virginia later. The families lost considerable livestock, crops, furniture, clothing, linens, etc. and were not compensated until the late 1880’s. The farm remained in the Monfort family until around 1921.
Please verify your age